This compact list of free speed reading tips is easy to apply in daily life. It also comes in a printable pocket style. You may print and laminate your list (white/black) to have it on hand whenever you like. Apply these easy tips daily to constantly increase your reading speed and comprehension.
I use the list as a bookmark for my study books and have one laminated copy on my bed table. It’s a great learning tool. And, by the way, to learn speed reading simply start here.
19 speed reading tips
- Preview material. Scan for trigger words, numbers and names.
- Recall main idea. Set a reading goal.
- Ask questions Who, Where, When, What, Why and How.
- Use your index finger as a hand pacing tool.
- Read groups of words at a glance. Start with 2 words, then 3, 4 and 5.
- Sum a melody while reading to avoid speaking words in your head.
- Resist skipping back in text. Just keep reading.
- Pref- and suffixes: Get familiar with them to understand words faster.
- Conceptualize. Link images to common nouns to improve comprehension.
- Improve vocab to increase comprehension and reading speed.
- Visualize information. Use memory techniques to embody knowledge.
- Create mind maps to recall ideas, review content and to create data bases.
- Web Reading: Scan headlines, bullet lists, bold words. Use mouse pacing.
- On the go: Scan urban space for word groups. Read signs, ads, layouts.
- At the doctor: Preview magazines. Recall ideas. Read word groups.
- Applications: Try free web apps to practice speed reading online.
- Use affirmations to create a positive attitude. Believe in your skills.
- Reduce any distractions. Improve light conditions. Sleep well.
- Practice daily.
Tools to apply speed reading tips
- To learn word group reading
- To overcome bad reading habits
- List of 100 most common nouns
- List of common prefixes and suffixes
- Video teaching basic memory techniques
- Try free speed reading software and tools
Update: Here’s our new Speed Reading Tips 101 list.