Online courses to learn to read faster have become a popular way to improve reading skills be it for career or private reasons. In this post we review Rev It Up Reading 3 (desktop/tablet) and show you features, pros and cons.
RevItUpReading V3.0 (view course website) is an online subscription speed reading course. The course is a combination of tutorial classes and timed exercises that train you in reading faster, increasing comprehension and having a higher retention rate.
Nine Modules comprise the heart of the course and they build on each in the difficulty of the reading speed and comprehension tests. In addition to the exercises the course also teaches how to manage your readings lists and how to read just the essential parts of readings to get the idea of the author.
Abby Marks Beale is the author and producer of this course. She has over 25 years in reading development and is the author of two books about speed reading.
|RevItUp Reading 2017||Pricing||Rating||Summary|
|Visit Website||$49 | $149 | $249|
7 | 90 | 365 Day Passes
|★★★★★★||Online class with 9 modules|
5 hours content. iPad, tablet ready
Rev It Up Reading: Course Highlights
- Progressive modular training that builds in difficulty of reading speed and tests. This ensures the student is always challenged.
- Easy and intuitive for the student to use. The quickest way to master the material is to follow the modules. Quick access to the teacher is available via an e-mail button in the course.
- Follow up emails after the course ends help keep your new reading skills strong.
- A PDF book authored by the course developer is included with each subscription.
- 100% money back guarantee that extends past the completion of the course.
9 Modules structure the course
9 modules will build on each other to lead you to faster reading speeds (view courses).
Module 1 deals with the basic concepts of speed reading and how the course works. There is also a diagnostic reading test to test your current speed and comprehension.
Module 2 strengthens your peripheral vision and teaches you how to beat the re-reading habit. Using the “white card method”, the computer blocks out text you have already read. This module also teaches you to focus and concentrate so you retain more of the reading.
Module 3 addresses the “sub-vocalization’ habit. Speaking the words to yourself as you read slows you down and makes you read each word. One of the keys of speed reading is to see blocks of words. You are also taught to search out keywords in the text, reading only the important words in the text.
Module 4 concentrates upon improving your peripheral vision even more and reading groups or words as thought phrases.
Module 5 addresses reading comprehension. Here you learn that initially you might actually lose some comprehension when you first start to learn speed reading. This is quickly regained and then improved as your skill increases. This module also introduces using your fingers to help you read. The first technique is the “Pull down center”, pulling your finger straight down the center of the page to keep your eyes moving with it. The other technique is the “Two finger pull”. Here you place two fingers on either side of the page and pull them down the page.
Module 6 will continue the “pull down” techniques, emphasizing the left and right side pull, where you pull the finger down on either side of the page and skim each paragraph. You’ll also learn the 2/3 underline technique and use your finger to underline the middle 2/3 of each sentence.
Module 7 gives you ideas on how to manage and reduce your reading load.
Module 8 explains how to skim-read non-fiction, getting the idea of the author’s structure of the text and getting the important ideas out of it.
Module 9 is a review of all the steps and techniques and provides strategies to keep the skills active in your mind.
Features included in each module
New in Revitup Version 3
The course has been relaunched in March 2016 with lots of new features and design changes. The most important ones include timed exercises, a more visual design, advanced tracking and progress charts, and last but not least full support for iPad and Android tablets. All course materials are available without the need to print them.
Easy to use, easy to progress
Rev It Up Reading modules are designed to be completed in 30 to 45 minutes per module. The entire course can be completed with just 7 hours of training. Plus, whether you are at home, school, or work you can access the program wherever there is internet capability.
Questions are quickly answered
There is an e-mail button in the user interface. Should you have a question you can e-mail it to the author and she will respond within 48 hours of receiving it.
Continued follow up after the course ends
You will receive follow up e-mails for 8 weeks after the course. They will each highlight specific aspects of the course. These reminders will help strengthen your new skills.
Free PDF book
Beale wrote a book before producing the course called “10 Days to Faster Reading”. Highly rated on Amazon.com, it covers all of the same topics as the course. This book is packaged with the course as a PDF file and is yours to keep for free. The book is also available from the user interface tool bar while you are studying and it is automatically correlated to your location in the course.
100% money back guarantee
Should the course not meet your expectations there is a 100% money back guarantee that extends 15 days after your course subscription expires. That is extremely generous and is a testament to how much confidence the producers have with their program.
Rev It Up Reading Review: The Pros and Cons
- Automatic progress charts and accessibility on iPad and tablets
- Online accessibility allows for access wherever there is internet capability. Scores and progress are automatically saved so you can stop and return to the course without losing your place.
- Modular program that is easy to follow and requires only a total of 7 hours of study.
- Easy access to the author of the course with timely responses.
- Follow up e-mails solidify the course concepts after the course ends.
- Free PDF book that covers same principles as the course. A good reference to keep your skills polished.
- The course is costly compared to the other courses I looked at. While it is not the most expensive it’s not the cheapest either. A thorough review of the course needs to be made by any potential purchaser.
- While internet accessibility is convenient it can also be a detriment when there is no internet capability.
Rev It Up Reading Review: The Verdict
RevItUpReading (view course website) will help you achieve faster reading speeds with better comprehension. The course is well structured and by adding the latest features such as iPad/tablet support, timed exercises and automatic progress tracking it has become a very competitive player in the market.
Previous users have rated it very highly and various other review site have rated it the number one course to improve reading skills. If you are interested in taking web based classes this course might easily make it on your final list.
Free tools from Rev It Up Reading: Podcast and eBook