People of all age groups enjoy book reading. However, even the most interesting non-fiction book may spend it its life unread on the shelf due to common reading issues such as lack of reading speed, fixed eye contact and subvocalization.
There’s a handful of good speed reading software available, which may help tackling these challenges. In this post we will briefly overview a popular program named The Reader’s Edge®, developed by Richard Sutz , CEO of The Literacy Company.
The Reader’s Edge Version 6.0 offers guided training to develop and improve your reading speed and comprehension by training your eyes and eliminating subvocalization.
Key Goals of Reader’s Edge
The main objective of “The Reader’s Edge” is to improve and increase the speed of your reading and make you a motivated, strategic and independent reader.
It helps to apply different learning strategies and continuously monitors your progress using various exercises. Latter ones include mobility training, recognition tests, vertical and horizontal span exercises and group reading tests.
As the software come in a Basic and Pro version, some features are only included in the more advanced edition. Though the main goal remains the same, features such as Audio Reading, Timed Reading Practice, High Speed Practice or advanced content features and RSS news feed implementation ship with Edge Pro only.
Key Components of Reader’s Edge 6.0
- Goal setting
- Peer support
- Use of meta-cognitive strategies
- Co-operative learning
- Frequent assessment using exercises
Highlights of The Reader’s Edge 6.0 software
- Unique training strategy and personalized learning to suit reading needs.
- The software covers needs of both adults and children of ages 5 and up.
- Available in versions for Windows and Mac
- Training can be customized for each user based on their needs.
- Tracks progress and automatically increases the level of difficulty in training.
- Focuses on expanding peripheral vision of the user.
- Trains you to read groups of words.
- Includes Prime-word-list exercises.
- Control flash speed, number of characters, phrases or words individually.
- 30 day money back guarantee
The Reader’s edge is a highly rated speed reading software as it offers noticeable and desired results for readers who want to become effective and speed readers.
It starts training by evaluating your current reading ability by taking speed and comprehension tests. At the beginning you may be little confused what the software offers due to many tools available. However, once you start with the training, the program becomes user friendly.
Training modules provided help you to progress immediately. All you need is 15 minutes a day to practice. Using this software just for 15 minutes alternate days for few weeks can improve your reading speed and comprehension to a noticeable extent.
Product Versions of Reader’s Edge
Basic Version on Windows ($79.95)
- Installed on One computer
- 8 types of exercises that include both reading and comprehension exercises
- Three users can be tracked
Pro Version on Windows ($149.95)
- Installation can be on 2 computers
- 12 types of exercises including both reading and comprehension exercises
- Can track unlimited users for single installation
- Audio Text Readings
- Access to 100+ Additional Tests
- Access to 500+ Additional Selections
Web Version for Windows and Mac
- Web based login to access the account from anywhere.
- 8 types of reading and comprehension exercises
- One user can be tracked for each account.
Benefits of The Reader’s Edge
- Less efficient readers can see and read only one word at a time as eyes stop on each word. They consume more time to read few pages as re-read words and subliminally vocalize each word read. This kind of reading limits reading speed to 160-220 words per minute which means the rate at which we speak.
- The reader’s edge helps in improving reading speed by making you to see and read the words groups rather than each word.
- Eye training offered by the software will enable to move your eyes swiftly on the words discouraging you from re-reading the words.
- Make your brain capable of handling several hundreds of words each minute.
- Help you to derive meaning of new words improving your comprehension skills.
- Improves productivity, effectives and enhances book reading enjoyment by enabling you to customize your reading goals.
- Discourages you from pondering over each word to increase comprehension and encourages reading words in groups by improving concentration.
The Readers Edge contains several components to train readers and a good level of confidence. It has 200+ comprehension tests, eight reading techniques to improve the speed and access to 300 eBooks.
Customer support. There’s a great choice of customer service options. Apart from FAQs and a software update section you can contact them by email, phone or fill in a contact form to ask questions.
The software has too many tools, confusing readers in the beginning of the training. Limiting number of accounts in basic version just to three users on three computers is another con.
Another downside might be the splitting into a Basic and Pro version. The Pro version offers interesting advanced features, but a great part of them can be found in products from other developers at a lower price.
On the whole The Reader’s Edge software offers guided training to increase the speed of reading to make book reading more enjoyable with customizable and easy to use training modules. The software can be used in schools, for group learning or by people of all ages to inculcate speed reading. There are also free updates for Life.
Price for the Basic Version is $79.95; the Reader’s Edge Pro Editon costs $149.95.
Other popular software such as 7-Speed-Reading may offer a strong alternative in terms of features, video tutorials, price and easiness of use. This specifically applies when comparing the basic version with other programs in the market.
Image Credits: http://www.readfaster.com/screenshots.asp